Friday, July 20, 2012

30 Minutes To Easier Paleo

When you get home from the grocery store I would image you are like most people and put this into your refrigerator.


Later that night you are sitting on the couch watching TV and you get that "I'm hungry and want something to snack on" feeling. Are you really going to go into your kitchen and cut up some veggies? Not likely. 


What about when you get home from a long day and you have a large appetite paired with little energy? Are you going to spend much if any time prepping some food to cook? Not so much. 


Your Friday tip is to spend 30 min upon returning from the grocery store in your kitchen prepping your veggies.  Wash, peel and cut up all your veggies. (I don't do this with fruit because when you wash off the protective coating of the fruit it will spoil faster.)


Your fridge should be a grocery bag free zone! Those bags are hard to see into and your crisper draw quickly turns into a black hole of baggie nothingness.


I like to use mason jars because they are reusable, inexpensive, and easy to see into. So when I get home and am tired, tossing a jar of zucchini into my pan to saute for 5 min is a breeze. When I want a quick snack, my veggies are ready! And it is easy for me to actually SEE what veggies I have to use up. The last reason I love this prepping tip is that it gets my husband snacking on healthy things. I don't think he has ever chopped up his own head of cauliflower, but if it is ready on the shelf and visible, he will snag it. 

(Pictured from left to right, back row first: zucchini, broccoli, cauliflower, cucumber, sweet potatoes, bell peppers)

Spending 30 minutes in your kitchen once a week will make cooking and eating Paleo much easier for you and your family. Enjoy!

1 comment:

  1. I know frozen veg don't get much love, but it's soooo quick.

    I admit that maybe 3x a week I put chicken, a stock cube and quater of a bag of frozen vegetables into a pan, heat it up and chow down.

    Super paleo (depending on what frozen vegetables you buy) and delicious.

    Try it!

    ReplyDelete