Monday, September 10, 2012

Citrus Brine

I love to make these little chickens. They are just the right size for my family and they don't take all day to cook. Last week I tried out this citrus brine and it was to die for. You can adjust this for the size of your bird, and it would work well for turkey too.

Fresh Citrus Brine:

1/2 cup salt
1 lemon, cut into wedges
1 orange, cut into wedges
1 medium onion, cut into wedges
2 sprigs of fresh bay leaves
1 T dried thyme
1 T black pepper
1 gallon of water

Rub salt on your bird. Place remaining ingredients in a large pot with the bird. Fill with water. Place in your refrigerator overnight. Discard brine from bird before cooking. For more flavor, add the oranges, lemon, onion and bay leaves to the edges of your baking dish. For my little chicken I cooked it on 350 degrees for 1 1/2 hours. Perfection!

 Enjoy!
 
Before. . .
 
After. . .
 

No comments:

Post a Comment