Monday, April 30, 2012

Fresh Grilled Artichokes

On a recent date my husband and I enjoyed a grilled artichoke as an appetizer at a local beach cafe. We were surprised how much we enjoyed it. Of course my Kitchen Beast wheels were turning as I thought, "I could totally make this". I tried it out this past week and it was a hit! So get out your basting brushes and fire up your grill, you are about to enjoy some scrumptious food!

Fresh Grilled Artichokes
4-5 whole artichokes, trimmed and halved
1 lemon
1 tsp fresh minced garlic
2 T olive oil
Salt to Taste

Prepare the artichokes by cutting the stem so it is about 1 inch long. Cut the tops of each leaf as pictured:
When it is ready it will look like this:

Cut artichokes in 1/2. Cut lemon in 1/2 and squeeze out the juice (set aside for later). Slice lemon into quarters and add lemon and garlic to boiling water. Let cook for 15-20 min or until the artichokes are tender. Remove from water and let stand for 5 min allowing them to dry. In a small dish add lemon juice and olive oil. Brush mixture over artichokes and place on grill. Sprinkle with salt and grill each side until they start to brown. (Approx 3-5 min per side)


When they are finished cooking remove "hair" from the center of the artichoke before eating. Enjoy!

1 comment:

  1. I just bought a bunch of artichokes from Costco...I'll be trying this tonight!

    ReplyDelete