Monday, February 27, 2012

Fresh Taco Salad

For a variety of reasons one of my favorite salads is the taco salad. Simple to prepare? Check. Adjustable for picky eaters? Check. Easy to make for entertaining? Check. Full of flavor and just a little spicy? Check.

I have made this salad for just my family and I have also made this for large dinner parties.  I simply put all the "toppings" in small bowls for a "serve yourself" taco buffet. Everyone gets just what they like, and you get to enjoy being the host! Imagine that.

Although there are packets of "taco seasonings" out there, the ingredients become a little suspect so I prefer to make my own seasonings.

Try a variation of the "taco salad" = Paleo Tacos. Prepare meat as below and put ingredients in pieces of butter lettuce - enjoy as a taco!

Fresh Taco Salad
1-2 lbs of ground beef
Cumin
Salt
Chili Powder
Pepper Flakes (if you like it spicy)
Lettuce

Toppings may change according to your preferences:
Avocado or Guacamole
Tomatoes
Bell Peppers
Salsa
Pepperoncini
Olives
Fresh Cilantro
Cucumber (may sound weird, but the crunchiness is awesome)

As you brown your meat, add seasonings to taste. Cumin is the key ingredient that will give the meat the taco flavoring. Add red pepper flakes to desired spiciness. No dressing is necessary as the meat and toppings are so full of flavor.


No comments:

Post a Comment